Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I have had replacement & hip revison surgery. In the revision

I have had replacement & hip revison surgery. In the revision the cup was changed. this had to be done because the hip dislocated twice. the original surgery was in 11/09. The revison in 7/10. Now I can't move my leg forward very far, as instanding & trying to lift the leg out sort of like a kicking movement. It goes a short way. Then no further & the muscles severly tighten in the thigh.

I have rquested therapy but was told it wouldn't help. Took a prescription for bactrim in case of infection. helped a little but am now back to not being able to lift the leg forward. It goes sideways & backwards.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 3 years ago.

Dr B :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr B :

When did this start?

Customer :

about a month after the revisoon surgery

Customer :

Actualy it was never right after the surgery

Customer :

Are you there

Dr B :

Have you had any x rays recently?

Customer :

x rays show nothing out of the ordinary. Lumbar & scaroiliac MRI's show nothing that should be causing this. My pain, neurologist, podiatrist & sports med drs think it's my hip. My hip dr seems to think this is normal. I am ready to make an appt with a hip / pelvic dr in Orlando for a more expert opinion. My sports dr has been handling trying to get past this point. But he is in the same practice as the dr who did the surgeries. I think he is hesitant to tell me tha this a botched job

Customer :

1 reason i have been given is that the revised hip cup is larger than the original 1 & stops movements of the leg like I am having trouble with. To me that may be the case but I should have been advised before I had the surgery. I think something has happened / been done that has shortened/ injured the IT band.

Dr B :

I think the revised hip cup is too large, but whatever the case it is causing impingment otherwise you would be able to flex your hip.
I have to recommend you get a second opinion

Customer :

Would you go through a 3rd operation to fix this. Or can it be manipulated under anesthesia?

Dr B :

If it is impingement due to a large cup, you will need a 3rd operation

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience