Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
10798432

I have been getting migraines since 1998. I always feel VERY

I have been getting migraines since 1998. I always feel VERY hunger before the migraine comes on but whether I eat or not does not help, except sometimes a regular soda can help. My migraines happen during my menstration, almost exclusively. My last migraine emphasized how a soda can really help. I had a migraine each of the last two nights and took my triptan medication to rid them. On the 3rd day I was starting to get it around noon. Since I did not want to take the medication for a 3rd day in a row I took Excedrin migraine and 4oz of OJ (sugar, caffeine{in Excedrin}, and meds). The Excedrin had no effect. After 2 hours I ate a sensible dinner with one Pepsi and my headache was completely gone.
-Why does soda help?
-I have considered buying a glucose meter to test my blood sugar during a migraine or periodically during my menstration to see if my blood sugar dips causing my migraines. Do you think this is a worth while purchase/endeavor?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
Caffeine has been known to help with migraine headaches for many patients. So it is likely that it is the caffeine in the soda, than the sugars that is helping your symptoms. I don't think you will benefit from the glucose monitor.
Regards.