Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

What can be done about PCOS to rid the ovaries of the cysts,

Customer Question

What can be done about PCOS to rid the ovaries of the cysts, aside from surgery. I have tried Provera 20mg qd, and Tri-Sprintec 28 day pack?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Jerry E replied 6 years ago.

Hello, this is Dr. E. Greetings from New York! I'm so glad you posted your question for me to answer, and I aim to provide you with accurate info.

Your doctor can try various combinations of estrogen and progesterone pills to try to quell the symptoms - you will have resolution of the symptoms at menopause as well.

As you know there are also surgical options.

Dr. E

Expert:  Family Physician replied 6 years ago.
There are a number of treatment options for polycystic ovary syndrome including clomiphene (Clomid) and metformin (Glucophage).

PCOS is associated with a relative resistance to the effects of insulin, which results in a higher than normal level of insulin and a increased risk of subsequently developing diabetes.

Weight loss (even modest weight loss if you are overweight) and a diet that is lower in sugar and simple carbohydrate is one non-prescription treatment.

Here is an excellent review article on the treatment of PCOS
http://www.aafp.org/afp/2003/0815/p697.html