Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  1 yr experience family medicine (adult and children), emergency medicine for five years

stomach said I had a lot of stool in my colon..back

I went to the doctor 12/29 because I had been feeling stomach pains and constipation for 3 days and got X-rays and the doctor said I had a lot of stool in my colon. I had also been having issues with acid reflux so she prescribed me with an antacid to take twice daily. She also told me to pick up miralax for the constipation and back up. I'm on day 3 of the miralax and while I have been able to use the bathroom, only a little has come out and I have felt like the miralax hasn't been worked yet. I also haven't had much of an appetite since taking the meds so I would like to know what I need to do to ensure that I pass everything that is backed up in my intestines and how long will it take to clear my system out?

Hello, this is Dr. E. Greetings from New York! I'm so glad you posted your question for me to answer, and I aim to provide you with accurate info.

Keep taking the miralax and start milk of magnesia as well - your stools should start running clear. If no profuse bowel movements by tomorrow morning you may need an enema and or fecal disimpaction by a physician. This is worrisome for a partial small bowel obstruction if no improvement.

Dr. E