Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  1 yr experience family medicine (adult and children), emergency medicine for five years

I am a 34 year old male. That has been having chest pains for

I am a 34 year old male. That has been having chest pains for a month. The symptoms of the chest pain vary in intensity. Mild to very irritating discomfort. 3 weeks ago I had and EKG, Echo with stress test, Chest Cat scan with contrast. Have been to the ER with chest pain 3 times and the doctors have found nothing. I have had several life changing events in the past 3 months. Getting married, change or residence, and new job. Anxiety medication seems to help the pain sometimes.

However about half and hour after I fall asleep, I am awaken by chest discomfort. Could I arterial spasms?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Jerry E replied 5 years ago.

Hello, this is Dr. E. Greetings from New York! I'm so glad you posted your question for me to answer, and I aim to provide you with accurate info.

It could be arterial spasm (prinzmetal's angina), or it could be electrolyte disturbance or a thyroid issue which can be checked with blood tests. Anxiety is always a diagnosis we need to keep in the back of our minds.

Dr. E

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How dangerous is an arterial spasm?

It can be dangerous - it predisposes to heart rhythm problems and even heart attack - you should talk to your doctor about the possibility of cardiac catheterization if they do suspect arterial spasm. There is medication you can take to reduce the spasm.

Dr. E