Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
10798432

Hi My daughter has been complaining of earache for the last

Hi
My daughter has been complaining of earache for the last few days , I have given her calpol for this and a heated toy to put on it for the night . I've noticed today that she has quite alot of smelly , mucky discharge coming from her ear , I've cleaned around her ear with warm (cool boiled) water and cotton wool .
What could this be ? Can I treat this at home ?
Your daughter most likely has an ear infection and/or perforated eardrum and she needs antibiotics. This is not something that can be treated at home. She needs to be seen by a doctor and have a prescription written for antibiotics and/or patch/surgery. So please take her to a doctor soon.

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your advice ,

What is patch/surgery ?

Also with regards XXXXX XXXXX possibilty of a perforated eardrum, how does happen ?

A perforated eardrum can be caused by ear infection, ear trauma from a foreign body or loud sounds, or ear pressure changes.

A patch is used to close the hole in the eardrum if this does not work surgery may be needed.

Here is a link with more information: http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/ruptured-eardrum-symptoms-and-treatments

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

if needed how would the patch be applied ? She is terrified of the doctors , will it cause her any discomfort ?

In your opinion does it sound like she will need this treatment and does have a perforated eardrum ? Or can you get the smelly , mucky discharge with just a ear infection ?

Should I take her to the out of hours service tonight or carry on with the calpol and get her an appointment in the morning ?

She will need to be seen by a doctor to have her ear examined to see if it is an infection or a perforated ear drum. If it is an infection she will need antibiotics only and not the surgery. I would take her to be seen by her doctor to be seen today rather than waiting for an appointment until tomorrow.

Regards