Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  1 yr experience family medicine (adult and children), emergency medicine for five years

times that I can tell I have too much bile in my system..My stools

I have chrons disease. There are times that I can tell I have too much bile in my system and it causes me to have more than usual diarrhea. My stools are yellow. I take Prevacid and Questran to help the acid and bile but is there anything else that I can take or do. I avoid all uncooked veggies because I can not digest them.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Jerry E replied 5 years ago.

Hello, this is Dr. E. Greetings from New York! I'm so glad you posted your question for me to answer, and I aim to provide you with accurate info.

I'm a fellow Crohn's sufferer myself - my heart goes out to you, I'm sorry for what you're dealing with. To aid with full digestion I recommend you chew each mouthful of food for at least ten seconds prior to swallowing, that will increase the surface area of the food that is available to your intestines for absorption. Also, as for the bile issue - there is a feedback system whereby greasy, fatty and dairy foods will stimulate the release of bile. Try to reduce your consumption of these foods (or avoid altogether) to help with your symptoms. Also, questran is an excellent medication to sequester the bile - you can take up to 4 grams of this medication up to six times a day - I'm recommending you take it about 15 minutes before a meal.

I hope this helped - please let me know if you hve any further questions. Have great New Year!

Dr. E

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is there anything I can take other than Questran. ?? The Questran has to be mixed. How can I do that before each meal when traveling or at work.? Is there anything else that is easier to trave with? I currently take one packet in the morning.

Eating is getting harder... No salads, no fruit, no veggies (unless cooked), you say no dairy, no fats. The only thing I seem to be able to tolerate are Carbs and it is making my ability to control my weight very hard.

Before you start making drastic changes to your diet, I'd recommend optimizing your questran first. If you eat something super greasy, be ready for some yellow stool, that''s all. I didn't say to cut out dairy and fat, just be mindful of them.You're only taking questran once a day which will not help your symptoms much - you need to be taking it at least before each meal, and up to six times a day total. You might consider having water bottles with the powder already in them and all you have to do is add water and shake them when you're at work or while travelling. There is another medication called colestipol (Colestid) which works similarly, and is also available in granules or tablet form - but I do not believe the tablet works as well. You might ask your doctor his thoughts about colestipol tablets.

Dr. E