Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

My son has developed two lumps, within the past two weeks,

My son has developed two lumps, within the past two weeks, at either sides of his neck just below his ears. One lump is rather large, the size of walnut, and the other a little smaller. What could this be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 3 years ago.
Hello
Welcome to the Just Answer Website.I need the following information from you, so that I can provide you the best answer:
Is there any recent history of fever or infection?
Was he prescribed with antibiotics?
Is the lumps painful?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not painful...no fevers or infecttion that I know of. No antibiotics prescribed. He is on Focalin
Thanks for the info given. Please stay online, I will post your answer in a couple of minutes.

Your son is having enlarged lymph nodes. Lymph node infection is called Lymphadenitis.It is a common complication of certain bacterial infections such as streptococcus or staphylococcus. A biopsy and culture of the affected area or node may reveal the cause of the enlarged lymph nodes.

Fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) may be done.In this technique, a thin, hollow needle is inserted into the mass/lump to extract cells that will be examined under a microscope. based on this the exact diagnosis can be made. So make an early appointment with doctor as prescription antibiotics may be required.

Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Regards-

Dr.David.

Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.

Edited by doctor_charles on 1/1/2011 at 6:41 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am so sorry for taking so long to respond. He has developed a pain in both shoulders one side more than the other. The pain is localized in the shoulder only.
The cause can be certain localized infection or inflammation in the joints like shoulder joint also & this may have resulted in enlarged lymph nodes.

Fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) may be done. So I advice you to make an early appointment with doctor as prescription antibiotics may be required for him.

Regards-
Dr.David.
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience: Internal medicine specialist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just an update. My son was diagnosed with NHL...cancer. I am gladi was able to act quickly. It was at stage 2 large b type cells. He has a 90% cure rate. He is in remission now and has one more chemo treatment to go out of the 5 prescribed.
Non-Hodgkin lymphoma is a cancer that starts in cells called lymphocytes. Thank you for using just answer website. Please feel free to ask questions any time...

Regards-
Dr.David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was not looking for an answer. I have done my research thoroughly. I was giving an update. No response needed.

Thank you for using just answer website.