Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate

Im not sure but I think I have just miscarried. I have had

I'm not sure but I think I have just miscarried. I have had amenorrea since I started my periods at the age of 10 and I am now 33. For the last 6 years my husband and I have been trying to get pregnant and not succeeded. I have had all the tests required to find out what is wrong with me. I have suspected PCOS and I am also underactive thyroid. The PCOS is not being treated but the thyroid is. Generally I have my periods somewhere between 5 - 10 weeks, but sometimes it can be early or late. Since a week ago I have bled slightly that lasted no more than 2 hours on and off for 3 out of 7 days. I have done 3 pregnancy tests which were all negative. This evening I was sat watching the tv and had a sudden gush of warm fluids. I then went to the toilet and realised I was bleeding. Then I felt what was a big blood clot. When I saw this blood clot it had a mass in it. It wasn't all red and had shape to it. It looked the shape of an embryo and is about 4cm long. I am now bleeding heavy with period like pains. I have I misscarried?
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
If the pregnancy test was POSITIVE NOW, then this was a miscarriage, otherwise, as per many PCOS women, who have this type of bleeding - this is most likely just a heavy period because women with PCOS usually have thick endometrium and hence they (and you) can have this type of bleeding).
This could also be a polyp - and so to say that this was a miscarriage, do a pregnancy test, because it would still be positive if a miscarriage.
I hope this helps, Please click on ACCEPT, thank you .
PCOS is a very interesting disease process and how to treat to get you pregnant is very intricate.
Thank you for your questions, Please click on ACCEPT, thank you.