Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

my son got fever and after that his upper lip is swolling what

my son got fever and after that his upper lip is swolling what happen to him
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 3 years ago.

Pauline :

Hello, does he still have the fever?

Pauline :

Apart from the swollen lip...how is the rest of his health?

Pauline :

Does he have any tingling or blistering of the upper lip?

Customer :

yes

Customer :

but not much

Customer :

he said is hurt on upper lip

Customer :

why u dont chat no more

Pauline :

So, he still has a fever... and the lip is swollen and painful?

Pauline :

How long has he had it?

Pauline :

Do you know what his temperature is?

Customer :

yes sir

Customer :

100.3

Pauline :

Thanks for the information. Have you given him any medication?

Pauline :

Sorry about all the questions but its important to have as much information as possible

Customer :

i just give him amoxciline 250mg

Pauline :

Did the swelling happen before or after the amoxicillin?

Pauline :

Did a doctor tell you to use the amoxicillin?

Customer :

yes before doctor give him still left over

Pauline :

Ok, so the swelling happened before the amoxicilin. the amoxicillin was left over from another occasion? When was he on the amoxicillin and why?

Pauline :

Have you given him any tylenol or ibuprofen?

Customer :

befor amox.

Customer :

he got ear infection

Customer :

yes lastnight tylenole and advil

Pauline :

A fever suggests an infection, this may be bacterial or viral. So at the moment we do not know if the amoxicillin is needed. A swollen lip may be the start of a viral infection...and you need to check inside the lip for any ulcers or blisters.

Pauline :

For the moment I would suggest a cold flannel over the lip to see if that helps the puffiness, use the tylenol as directed but I would suggest you avoid the advil just to make sure that he is not having a reaction to it.

Customer :

no ulcer or blister

Customer :

did he need go to er

Pauline :

Its good that there are no blisters, although its possible that may happen in the next 24 hours.

Customer :

what happen is next 24hr

Pauline :

The blisters may come out in the next 24 hours.He should go to ER if the fever does not start to come down after a few doses of tyelenol, or he becomes very tired and hard to wake. Or if he develops an

Pauline :

increasing swelling of both lips, the tongue or a rash.

Customer :

what should i do now

Pauline :

When was his last dose of tylenol?

Customer :

about 3:30 lastnight

Customer :

.i dont know ha got alergic tyleno or advil

Pauline :

Then as long as its been more than four or six hours, give him another dose of tylenol as per package instructions. Sponge him down with tepid water, and use a cool flannel on his lip.

Pauline :

If the swelling continues to worsen then he will need ER

Pauline :

But it may be that after a couple of hours things will be better.

Customer :

he said is hurt on gum maby he he got gum infection

Pauline :

Is his gum swollen?

Customer :

or can u call me better talk because im not good on chat my phone(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Customer :

yes

Pauline :

I'm sorrry but we are not allowed to contact customers direct.

Pauline :

The gum being swollen changes things...this is possibly an infection that should be treated by a doctor before the weekend is over. You should have him examined at an urgent care clinic or ER. It may be that amoxicillin is not the most appropriate drug to use, and he may need different treatment.

Customer :

ok

Customer :

thank

Customer :

im wait until 9:00 icall my doctor check if she open today

Pauline :

There should be access to an out-of hours service even if your doctor is closed.

Customer :

thank for your help i did call but no allcall answer

Customer :

that why i have to wait untill9:00

Pauline :

Ok, in the meantime you can continue with the earlier advice with tyelenol and flannel.

Customer :

yes thank i will give him tylenole

Pauline :

Thanks for using Just Answer today, if this has been helpful then please press 'accept'.

Pauline :

Best wishes

Customer :

eccept

Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.