Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

severe lower left abdominal pain. no bowel movement for 3 days.

severe lower left abdominal pain. no bowel movement for 3 days. prescribed codein phosphate for over 18 hours. no change, no temperature but pain getting worse

Can you pass gas ? Is there any distension or tenderness of abdomen? How is urine? Is there any other symptom? Was any test done? Are you on any other medication? Is there any significant past illness?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes I can pass gas after a more severe pain. no tenderness of the abdomen. passing a little urine. no tests done. routine inhalers for asthma, and infusion for Osteoporosis
Is it on one side of lower abdomen? like left or right? or whole of it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Actually when i concentrate on it, the pain is little higher and towards the back left say around the bottom of the rib cage, sort of waist area
Thank you for the input.

The pain at lower left side can come urinary infection, or stone , mesenteric lymph adenitis, or colitis or intetinal spasms from constipation or gas. Other probable causes are pinching of nerve, muscle strain. When it is towards the back near waist area kidney cause needs to be excluded. Codeine phosphate can also cause constipation. I think you should have a repeat examination by doctor & do some tests like urine & blood analysis to find out the precise diagnosis. An ultrasound may also be needed if doctor feels necessary.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

could it be a blockage. I had one about 7 years ago but the pain was not as severe as this. From your previous reply should i seek immediate proffessional treatment?

Blockage sounds unlikely when you have passed stool & passing gas. In obstruction there can be increasing distension of abdomen. But as the pain is severe you need an immediate help.