Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

Hi can fluid get from spline to the lungs

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.

Could you clarify your question for me?
Have you been having problems with your spleen? If so, what is your diagnosis?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
wife very sick doctor said fluid from spleen is leeking into lungs taken 3 lts every week
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
I am so sorry your wife is sick.

Does she have underlying liver disease? Bleeding of the spleen? An infection in her spleen? Do you know what her underlying diagnosis is...the reason that her spleein is leaking?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no has inlarged spleen 30cm doctor said is leaking flued to lungs
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Does the doctor insert a needle into the lung to remove the fluid?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes every friday she carn,t breath
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Again, I am so sorry she is sick.

The reason for her enlarged spleen is likely contributing to the fluid buildup...the question is why is her spleen enlarged. If you don't know, it is something to ask the doctors as it may help you to understand better what is going on with your wife.
The spleen does not become enlarged for no reason...it can become enlarged due to liver disease, infections, severe anemia, congestive heart failure and cysts (to name a few).

Your wife is developing what are called pleural effusions. This is where fluid builds up in the two layer lining that surrounds the lungs. As the fluid builds up more, it compresses the lung tissue itself, making it hard to breathe.

An enlarged spleen is one cause of these effusions. I suspect that there is more to the entire picture that is leading to the fluid buildup, though, along with the enlarged spleen

Feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!

Edited by Dr. Abby on 1/1/2011 at 8:43 AM EST
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States