Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

I went to the er today after i had this visit to the er in

Customer Question

I went to the er today after i had this visit to the er in november and have since become the king of coconut water,bananas,etc,and have felt ten times better,when i went to the hospital today it was for prostatitis caused by complications from prostate cancer,and even though I had had two large coconut drinks before going to the hospital this time my potassium level was 30 lower than it was before I started taking so many potassium products amnth and a half ago.the doctor in the hospital said this suggested cardio problems.Now I am really stumped.the last two days I have been back in the extreme fatigue phase despite my trying and wonder what I should do next.I am seriously thinking of taking a medical leave from work to have treadmill stress test and others (cortisol) which were suggested.i put these all on hold as I have been battling cancer and wanted all my energy for going back to my job which incidentally i have been doing great at ,til now. what should I do
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 3 years ago.

Pauline :

what is your latest potassium level?

Pauline :

Do you know your current heart rate, blood pressure?

Pauline :

Did they do an ECG at ER?

Customer : I am not sure if you are still on ,anyhow i responded to these queries,it is currently 30 ,was 32 when i went in to the hospital almost two months ago with chest pain and have since been on a crusade to drink lots of coconut water and bananas and thought this was reallly helping so why is it even lower, I had an ecg two wks ago with no word about results ,blood pressure is normal because of blood pressure meds
Pauline :

What medication do you take?

Pauline :

Have you been given potassium supplements in the past?

Pauline :

You mentioned that you have been battling cancer...can you tell me what drugs they have used? When was the last time you had your hemoglobin checked...and what was it?

Pauline :

Thanks..I will be off and on line all day today so I will get back to you.