Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I had a sustained AFib which required cardioversion and was

I had a sustained AFib which required cardioversion and was put on sotalol. I was released from the hospital after 6 days on Nov 20. Last week on Christmas Eve a heart irregularity returned and after five hours I called for an ambulance. EKG test evidenced I was in AFib again. It subsided later in the evening. Do to having PAH ( cath of left and right side confirmed this), I've been on oxygen 24/7. Here's my question: how long should I allow another episode of heart irregularity go on before seeking medical help? I had it about an hour ago and it only lasted for 10 mins.       IS Anyone There?

Dr B :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr B :

When you had the irregularity, was your heart racing?

Customer :

steady beat and then skipped beats, back to regular beats for a sort time and then back to fast irregular beats

Dr B :

As long as the beats are not rapid, and you don't have any shortness of breath, dizziness or faint feelings, it is not an emergency, and can wait until the next day, but if you notice a rapid thready pulse, then you need to go to an ER right away

Customer :

the fast, irregular beats suck the breathe down, from my throat

Dr B :

Those are indicators that you need to go to an ER