Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Ive had what can be best described as a fluttering/twitching

I've had what can be best described as a fluttering/twitching or muscle spasm in my abdomen for about 24 hours. It's located just to the left of my navel, and is painless, but rather annoying. I normally wouldn't be concerned, but I think this is where the abdominal aorta is located, and I want to be sure I don't have to worry about an aneurysm...? Anyway, I just wanted to run this by someone with some experience before I start getting all worked up about it.

Abdominal aneurysm is uncommon in your age group and does not give fluttering/twitching or muscle spasm as symptoms. The muscle contractions/spasm you feel in all likelihood is muscle fasciculation or muscle twitch. Twitching is caused by minor muscle contractions in one particular area, or the persistent and uncontrolled twitching of a muscle group in a distribution of a single nerve fiber or filament. Usually they are benign and resolve on their own, but persistent flutter may need following investigations;

1) electromyography (EMG)
2) nerve conduction velocity (NCV)
3) blood electrolytes like calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, etc
4) thyroid and parathyroid function tests
5) blood chemistry and complete metabolic profile

The common causes can be;

1) Idiopathic; no cause is ascertained and majority falls in this group.

2) Increased caffeine intake

3) Increased alcohol intake

4) Medications

5) Deficiency in diet and nutrients / minerals

6) Some neurological diseases; uncommon

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for the detailed answer; I appreciate your response. I've experienced muscle twitching/cramping before (I'm a runner and often have leg twitches), but it's never lasted so long, not has it been isolated to a particular spot. Is it normal to for these twitches to last for 24 hours? That's what's concerning me the most. I've been quite stressed lately and I know that's also been a cause of muscle twitching (in my eye or arms, for example) in the past.

You are very welcome.

Yes. Muscle twitch can last for more than 24 hours and many times may continue for 2-3 days. In your case there are two point specific which need address;

1) Is it abdominal aortic aneurysm? The answer is big No.

2) Does this symptoms warrant any emergency measure or point to anything serious? The answer is again No.

I can understand this is annoying as this is a persistent nagging sensation. But in all likelihood this will resolve on it's own. Anxiety, tiredness, stress, electrolytes imbalance, dehydration all can be responsible for the persistence of the twitching.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Great. Thanks so much for alleviating my worries! I feel a lot better now. Best wishes for the new year!

You are most welcome.

Wish you a very happy and prosperous new year.

Warm regards,

Dr. Arun