A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

Have you or any other doctor ever heard of Post Breast Cancer

Have you or any other doctor ever heard of Post Breast Cancer Treatment Syndrome? According to someone I know this is not very well known, but it needs to be addressed as I have every symptom of this. The whole area that I was radiated on the right side of my body is so sore I cannot even lay on that side at night. thank God I was able to get into my primary care doctor and she addressed the pain management first. She said it was very important to get the pain controlled then we would work backwards to see if we could find out what is causing it. We are pretty sure by now, after x-rays, blood work and another mammography that I am fine, but the pain persists. She put me on Neurotin, A small dose of morphine (at night so I can sleep and also increased my Tramadol to 50 mg. I am finally relieved of most of the pain. She said I have every symptom of nerve damage from the radiation.
I think every woman about to undergo radiation should be informed of this possibility.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Post Breast Cancer Treatment Syndrome isn't particularly rare. Somewhere between 15 and 30% of breast cancer survivors experience it. It is generally considered neuropathic pain from nerve damage during surgery, radiation, and/or chemotherapy. It isn't as common as it was 20 years ago because of improved surgical procedures. Treatment is a combination of neuropathy drugs like gabapentin/Neurontin, low-dose antidepressants (SSRI drugs), and pain relievers. Narcotics can be used if other pain relievers are not sufficient.