Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

urine sample in this week and our family doctor found..blood..urine

Customer Question

I have had chronic bladder infections for two years straight now except for maybe a week in that time period. I have been on every antibiotic imaginable. I took a urine sample in this week and our family doctor found that the blood had increased in my urine. I have been to two different urologists and am not satisfied. I believe there is something else going on. I soak pads and Depends to the tune of two large black garbage bags a week. I am constantly fatigued. I had a malignant tumor removed from my left lung two years ago and I was thinking today that that was about the time the bladder infections started. I have canceled social engagements and my quality of life is not good. I am sweating when I am doing nothing and it scares me because I know sweating is a sign of cancer. I had it before my tumor was removed. I had two months of radiation every day and have been checked by ct every 3 months. so far so good in the lung area. I think I am going to the Mayo Clinic or somewhere top notch. I am 67 years old but we have the resources to pay -- we don't have to go to a specialist who takes medicare. I have to have some answers. This is not right. Oh, and I found out that I had polps (sp) on the mouth of my bladder but they did not do a biopsy. They did do a bladder scan and it was negative except for scarring. I now am on a double dose of Cipro.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Pat Albers
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for the question today

Your question is a bit complex and I can sense your frustration through your post.

Several things stand out here. The fact that you are putting out large amounts of urine, sweating, and the fact that this has been ongoing for 2 years now.

Of course, no one here will be able to give you anything definitive - as far as the cause of all of this - but I think you may be able to benefit from some thoughts (maybe).

A few things to consider - (and I'm mentioning these because I am going off of symptoms only - don't know if you have had any of these things ruled out or not)

1) Diabetes (simple answer, but do not know if this has been ruled out, I feel sure it has though) - this can cause you to lose LARGE amounts of urine.

2) Kidney failure - in certain stages of kidney failure, you will produce large amounts of urine.

3) Endocrine disorders such as Addison's disease, Cushing's disease, hypoaldosteronism (to name a few).

Of course, problems within the urinary tract are possible such as interstitial cystitis and intersitial nephritis.

Your history of cancer should be explored as well. The Mayo Clinic is a wonderful thought here. Since you are not happy with the outcome of your previous visits, the Mayo Clinic will most likely look at your case as a whole then take each symptom and go from there. Expect even a P.E.T. scan to be done to scan your body for possible new cancer sites. A P.E.T. scan uses radioactive sugar that is injected into your vein and you wait for about an hour for the medication to 'uptake'. Since cancer cells are very active, they need lots of energy to produce...thus, the cancer cells grab onto the radioactive sugar that is injected as a source of fuel. These 'hot spots' show up on the camera as you are being scanned. This can show if your previous cancer has spread.

Please seek medical attention as soon as you can. Producing this amount of urine is dangerous...especially long term.

Your case may be more than one issue too. You would have to wonder if you may have more than one issue working on you here. Nevertheless, I wish you luck with the Mayo Clinic if you choose that route. Reply back if I can help further...