Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I get recurring cricks in my neck. It is always on the same

I get recurring cricks in my neck. It is always on the same side. The crick can stay for as long as 3 months. The pain varies from severe to moderate. Currently I have a very painful one and even needed to leave work early. It even hurts to sniff my nose.
They have been helped somewhat by massages. I do not tolerate, muscle relaxers well, they make me nausious.
1. What are some good home treatments? I have only one kidney so anything I take needs to be gentle to the kidneys.
2. What could cause me to have this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.

DR HASAN :

HI

DR HASAN :

Thanks for your question

DR HASAN :

I am an ENT & Head & Neck surgeon and wants to help you

DR HASAN :

Have you visited any doctor so far for this neck problem?

Customer :

Great, it is actually mys sister I am asking for

DR HASAN :

ok

Customer :

No

Customer :

She has bad insurance

Customer :

This has been going on for years

Customer :

about 5

DR HASAN :

Does she feel stiffness in neck when she wakes up in morning?

Customer :

No

Customer :

She will be fine and then turn and the crick is back

Customer :

she has to be careful how far she turns her heard, how fast, and what position or the crick returns

DR HASAN :

By crick you mean crackling noise like hard pieces rubbing against each other?

Customer :

No the painful feeling in the neck that hurts more when you turn your neck or for her when she swollows hard, sniffs her nose....

Customer :

And yes some stiffness

DR HASAN :

ok like a muscular pain

Customer :

Yes but muscle relaxers are not an optian because they make her sick and over the counter anti-inflamatories don't help

DR HASAN :

Ok thanks for your input.

DR HASAN :

Neck cricks can be due to various causes like bad sleeping position, bad neck movements etc

DR HASAN :

some people get them frequently and some occassionaly

DR HASAN :

She can do the following things to get some help

DR HASAN :
She can apply a heating pad or warm cloth on the neck that can help relax and loosen muscles and tendons
DR HASAN :

She can do some gentle exercises. it is better to move the affected area than to give in to the pain. Do some gentle stretches and turns of the neck.

DR HASAN :

careful massage can be done by her

DR HASAN :

and she can use local gels like Ibuprofen or other over the counter available gels which can relieve pain and they have no affect on kidneys

Customer :

Great idea for the gels!Is there anything she can do to prevent these?

DR HASAN :

Moreover she should avoid the movements which cause her to get these cricks

Customer :

Sorry, I thought you done. I see now you were still typing.

DR HASAN :

should sleep on a comfortable pillow

DR HASAN :

avoid any sternous exercise

DR HASAN :

Its ok

DR HASAN :

i wish her good luck

DR HASAN :

& happy New Year to you both

Customer :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX share these with her.

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery