Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

How frequently do supervisory visits need to be done for medicaid/medicare

Customer Question

How frequently do supervisory visits need to be done for medicaid/medicare clients? Aren't the frequency for medicare and medicaid the same? I'm finding, doing audits, that things are not done the same as the company I used to work for. I don't want to get dinged on my sup visits if I can help it. Not much I can do from the previous DON but I can hopefully get things on track! THanks!
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 5 years ago.

Hello and Thank you for using JustAnswer Health for your question.

May I clarify your question please - are you speaking of medicare and medicaid supervisory visits for home health as in RN's supervising the nursing assistants? Are you doing audits for a home health care agency?

For example, Medicaid home health (in Alabama as of 2007) supervisory visits by an RN must be done at least every 60 days when services are provided by an LPN, HHA, or orderly. The services may be provided on a part-time basis only and must be ordered by the attending physician. The RN who is responsible for the care of the patient must supervise the service. Reference:

Similar guidelines are found with a more recent date (2010) as well for the state of Wisconsin: RN supervisory visits must be 'no less than every 60 days' Ref:

I looked for specifications for Medicare and Medicaid from a Federal source, but so far have not found it, although the states of course must follow the federal guidelines.

I have worked in home health in the past as a Psychiatric Nurse, and have never performed anything but every 60 day RN supervisory visits, so very likely the requirement is the same for both Medicare and Medicaid.

I hope this answers your question. Please reply to this post if you need further clarification or I have not touched on what you were trying to understand so that I or another expert may assist you until you are satisfied with your answer.

Edited by susanivy on 12/30/2010 at 6:03 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am in a home health agency. I'm looking for supervising home health aides and LPN's. I have virually no sup visits being done, let alone being done on time. I think I know what I'm doing for sup visits for medicare (aides q 2 weeks, LPN every 28 days). A majority of my clients are medicaid. I'm not familiar with their rules as well as medicare. I have clients with skilled nursing and an aide or just one or the other. The more I get into this, the more confused I'm getting. My audits are for the home health agency. I'm finding lots of errors on care plans and in getting sup visits done. Any help you can give me will be appreciated.
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 5 years ago.
Hello. I was working on your question still while you replied and added information by edit. Please look at the prior post and see if that helps (the RN supervisory visits are required every 60 days). Also, we can look more specifically if you tell me what state you are in.