Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I strained while having a bowel movement and something like

I strained while having a bowel movement and something like popped. I have had stomach pain for about 6 weeks now, and my doctor says its a tear in my muscle and it will take quite a while to heal.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 6 years ago.

Dr B :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

JACUSTOMER-tfkcaj96- :

My doctor says I have a tear in my muscle from straining having a bowel movement

Dr B :

I see, what question regarding this would you like me to answer?

JACUSTOMER-tfkcaj96- :

do you agree with the same answer as my doctor

Dr B :

Do you have pain while you have bowel movements?

JACUSTOMER-tfkcaj96- :

no, but I do in the muscle area of my stomach

JACUSTOMER-tfkcaj96- :

I already had a check up and he felt the stomach and lower area below belly button all was fine, just the area on the side of my stomach

Dr B :

This would seem to be an abdominal muscle strain, is it painful to touch?

JACUSTOMER-tfkcaj96- :

not really mostly when laying down, or sitting.

JACUSTOMER-tfkcaj96- :

laying on my side

Dr B :

I think it is an abdominal muscle strain. likely one of your oblique muscles, it will take time to heal, but you may use pain medicine to help with your current symptoms. The only thing that would indicate a tear is a palpable defect

JACUSTOMER-tfkcaj96- :

so I should not be too concerned. My doctor told me that there was no medicine for the tear, I guess just medicine for the pain, is that correct. How long does it take to heal its been 6 weeks already.

Dr B :

That is correct, there is no medicine for the tear, only for the pain. It may take 6-12 weeks to heal, depending on the extent of the injury

JACUSTOMER-tfkcaj96- :

so it could go longer

Dr B :

yes, it could be longer

JACUSTOMER-tfkcaj96- :

wow, lucky me. well I guess the burning and sleepless nights will eventually end, what if it doesn't.

Dr B :

You should have pain medicine to help with those symptoms, but if they continue, then I advise you have an MRI to determine the extent of the damage

JACUSTOMER-tfkcaj96- :

thats exactly what the doctor said, mri and ultra sound. well I guess thats it, basically the doctor hit it on the head, as well as you. thank you for your time.

Dr B :

You're welcome
Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns

If you are satisfied, please click ACCEPT