Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

Yesterday while stretching I felt and heard a loud pop from

Yesterday while stretching I felt and heard a loud pop from the lower out side of my knee. I believe I have a minor lcl sprain. The knee only hurts when I bend it adding weight to the leg does not make it hurt anymore than just bending it does. I can walk with only a small amount of pain. The knee feels stable. The pop was so loud that I am scared I might have done more damage what are the signs of a more severe tear. Can anything more than ice and rest be done for the knee if it is just a minor sprain.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 6 years ago.

Dr B :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr B :

Do you have any swelling or redness?

Customer :

No no swelling or redness.

Dr B :

Then it is unlikely you tore a ligament, maybe you just strained it

Dr B :

You may have also torn a meniscus

Customer :

I have have had a torn meniscus re attached before this feels nothing like that. This is a reltivly small area of pain on the outer lower knee it is more on the top of the lower leg bone.That was what I thought but the pop sound was so loud it had me worried. Is there anything besides ice and rest that would help. I dont want to go to the doctor waste his and my time not to mention my 30 dollar co pay. Are any of those home ultrasound therapy devices worth looking into?

Dr B :

The home ultrasound devices will not help you, and will likely waste your money. Ice an elevation are the only things that will help, as well as pain medication

Customer :

Thanks for the info have a good night