911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

Chest x-ray showed right elevated diaphragm that is elevated

Chest x-ray showed right elevated diaphragm that is elevated to the right hilar region. there is slight fullness of the right hilum some of which may be related to vascular crowding. What could cause this?
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 6 years ago.

911Doctor : Hello,
911Doctor : Are you there?
911Doctor : Why did you get a chest Xray?
911Doctor : What medical problems do you have?
911Doctor : Are you there?
JACUSTOMER-kbt9z3a0- :

I've had a cough for the past 2 months and have started to feel short of breath at times. I got bronchitis and was treated to 2 Z packs. The bronchitis cleared up but I still have this persistant cough so my doctor sent me for an CXR.

911Doctor :

Are you a smoker?

911Doctor :

I see we have missed again so let me try to explain what this means.... First, there are many reasons to have an elevated hemidiaphragm... In your case the most likely things would be conditions that decreased the expansion/contraction abilities of the lung. Pneumonia would do it... a pulmonary embolus or blood clot in the lung would to it... An abscess could do it... and, as is always the case when doctors talk about "what could it be" there is, on the list, cancer.

911Doctor :

Now let me tell you before you get all upset about this last sentence that looking at the radiology report my first few guesses to not include cancer.... Cancer usually has nodules and USUALLY is not associated with elevation of the hemidiaphragm. If you are not a smoker this is virtually off the list... if you are, then it is on the list... down the list...

911Doctor :

I think that coming up for you will be a CT Scan of the chest. It will probably be done in such a way as to look for a blood clot... Persistent cough, shortness of breath, and chest pain can be symptoms of a blood clot... even fever... Folks with a blood clot of some size will also have a rapid heart rate... usually near or over 100 at rest...

911Doctor :

Also, the folks with clots have usually had swelling or pain in the legs in the days or weeks prior... Many times they have been traveling on a plane or bus for long periods of time and a clot forms behind the calf and travels to the lung...

911Doctor :

As you can see from this link...

911Doctor :

the list of causes is very long... the job is now to find the cause... I am standing by if you have any more questions....

911Doctor :

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptoms/increased_intracranial_pressure/book-causes-6a.htm

JACUSTOMER-kbt9z3a0- :

Sorry I missed you. Thanks for the answers. I will check the link and I'm sure I will hear from my doctor on Monday. Thank you

911Doctor :

you are welcome! please click 'accept' if you are satisfied with my response to that I may be credited for my work. Best.