TheGermDoctor
TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine.

I am curious about the general culture in the medical field.

I am curious about the general culture in the medical field. What are the factors you are usually concerned about when you are asked to provide expert input related to another doctor or hospital's wrong doing that might lead to a law suit. Assume that you don't even know the doctor or the hospital in question to start with.
Category: Health
Expert:  TheGermDoctor replied 3 years ago.

TheGermDoctor :

Hello

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
any input?

Generally, when giving a medico-legal analysis, a doctor looks at what is considered the "standard of care"- what a generally competent physician would expected to do in a given situation based on the current state of medical knowledge and practice. This may not necessarily be what is done in the "top" center in the country, but rather what is expected care in a given community.

Some physicians are willing to testify if the standard of care has been breached- but many refuse to do so, in support of colleagues. It becomes a somewhat tricky ethical issue- but the reality is that there are usually plenty of doctors willing to make such a statement- for a sufficient fee.

If you tell me a bit more specifically what you want to know, I will try to answer something else.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your input! It does seem tricky to find someone.

.

My mother took a fall in ICU room while being monitored for overnight after a brain surgery. 3 hrs after the fall her bain CAT scan looked normal. She was discharged anyway the same day while her face gradually swelled up to double its size. She then was found unconcious the next day at home. A subsequent CAT scan showed a large area of bleeding in the brain, which was explained to us as "contusion", bruising of the brain tissue as a result of the fall by her brain surgeon. She was in coma for 27 days as a result of it and is still in life care facility now with unpredictable neurological complications down the road. I am trying to find an neurologiocal expert among those she visited before to testify that it is normal for a delayed onset of bleeding after a hard fall. But I simply haven't heard back from anyone who's willing to tell the truth. I feel very upset and am trying to understand what prevents them from standing up and speaking up.

Well, it in part is that doctors understandably want to stick up for each other. A doctor who is known to testify against other doctors is really looked at poorly by his peers.

Having said that, most lawyers usually can find a doctor who can review a case and see if the standard of care was met. I am not a neurologist or a neurosurgeon so I cannot comment about the specifics here.

There are companies who do supply medico-legal consultants that may be able to review the case. If you just do a search on "medicolegal consulting" you will come up with many such companies. That may help you.

Good luck.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

As for what "prevents" doctors from speaking up- in large part it is the insane medicolegal environment in this country.

Again, I do not know the specifics of your case, and could not without reviewing all the records. But the truth is that the majority of malpractice suits are frivolous.

"Ambulance chasing" lawyers file lawsuits for almost any reason. The reality of medicine is sometimes there are bad outcomes. And doctors are just fed up with dealing with lawsuits- it puts their life through hell even if they did meet the standard of care.

So even in a case that may have merit, the general sense is doctors want to try not to help the lawyers.. At least some.... And frankly, I agree with that position.

Good luck.

TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience: 17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you! My family is living through hell now due to my mom's incidence that could have been totally prevented by the hospital.