TheGermDoctor
TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine.
13956133

Does fish oil help reduce vasular plaque or just help slow

Does fish oil help reduce vasular plaque or just help slow down the formation on additional plaque?

Hello-

There is data that omega 3 fatty acids, fish oils improve lipids profile particularly lowering triglycerides and raising HDL ( the good cholesterol). It may slightly raise LDL as well ( the bad cholesterol), but it also has anti-inflammatory effects, and lowers the tendency to thrombosis.

Studies show that fish oils may limit progression, and in some cases even leads to some regression of plaque.

I hope that helps.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you, doctor.

I am trying to sort out what is benefiting me so I can keep taking it. I have taken about 3000 mg per day of fish oil for about two years.

I have also been taking a targeted natural product marketed by Univera.

Approximately one year ago my cardiologist was pressuring me to take blood pressure medications and statins because I had an MI 20 years ago and my blood pressure was back up to 170/110 and my cholesterol was border line. I have had previous problems with both types medications so I started taking the Univera product called Rythmatix which contains about 125 mg of resveratrol, a relatively small amount of fish oil and Co-Q10, and a few vitamins.

After about three or four months my BP was and still is stable at 130/80 at mid-day high ,110/70 first thing in the morning. My cholesterol has not gone down much but I just had a cardiac workup and the result was that my arteries are clear after twenty years of annual reports that the plaque is slowly increasing.

I am a scientist and a skeptic so I am looking for answers because insurance won't pay for either natural product. Is it possible that the two years of fish oil is actually what cleared my arteries or should I keep paying for the Rythmatix.

It is certainly possible that the fish oil has helped you.

There is more robust data on the benefit of statins, but in your case the fish oil is likely helping. An alternative or additional option may be niacin , if you really cannot tolerate statins.

but I would certainly agree with your doctor in keeping both your bp and your LDL controlled.

Good luck.