Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.

are wrist blood pressure monitors accurate and When should

are wrist blood pressure monitors accurate? and When should you call 911 for high bolood pressure? I was recently told if HP is 160/100 call 911 and seek help.
I am currently extremely stressed and my BP is 165/91 156/104 167/106 188/104 162/104 180/105 and 154/103 today over the past hour.
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I am happy to help you today! Use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Let me ask you a few questions to help you better.
Do you take medication for your blood pressure?
Are you having nausea/vomiting?
Any chest pressure?
Do you smoke?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No I do not take HBP meds. I do not Smoke and never have. No chest pain, starting to get head ache. I take the following meds: zyrtec, singulair, protonix, and vitamins.

Thanks for the additional information.

I don't think this is a 911 issue but you will have to make that decision. Call your provider and see if you can get into the office today for an exam. If you can't you could go to the closest Urgent Care for an evaluation.

However, if you begin to experience extreme head ache, nausea, altered mental status then you do need emergent care.

Wrist blood pressure cuffs can be pretty accurate but it does need to be checked manually as well.