Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
23849074

cocaine and admits he thinks he has sex addiction

my 35 year old, college educated, son was diagnosed with "mild add" after his senior year of high school. Recently he has suffered from depression and has admitted to using cocaine and admits he thinks he has sex addiction. He has spent nearly $100,000 on prostitutes and coke over the past 4 years. He is unemployed and completely broke...having blown through all of his savings. Where do we start with treatment: ADD? depression? chemical dependency? sex addiction?
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 6 years ago.
Hello, I am happy to help you today! Use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

He needs to go back and be honest with his psychiatrist and admit the depth of his addictions. THen he can guide him in therapy for addictions and get him the appropriate medications for depression as well.

Also he needs to have a primary care provider involved in his care by doing a through exam and labs.

The good thing about rock bottom is that the only way is UP! I am so glad that he has you for support with this as well.