Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

symptoms are increasing and she is not getting any relief after going

Customer Question

my sister is experiencing severe pressure and pain in her abdomen...lower & upper. She has been diagnosed with IBS, however, she has noticed that the symptoms are increasing and she is not getting any relief after going to the bathroom like she normally does. Also, for the last 3 hours there has been a lot of blood in her stool. I am trying to gt her to go to the ER, but she wants to wait until tomorrow am. She says that she is really uncomfortable and she is crying. Should I insist that she got to the ER tonight?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.

Yes, you should insist to go to ER. IBS can cause pain but blood in stool suggests a different condition. This can be due to an inflammation or infection or others. She should get an urgent examination. Stool test, ultrasound of abdomen , scopes can be necessary.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.