Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice

Hi, I have really weird sensations in my shoulders, arms,

Hi, I have really weird sensations in my shoulders, arms, hands and legs. It starts as a 'pins and needles' feeling in the joints but then spreads through the limbs and it feels as if I have ants crawling up and down inside and my limbs then they jerk involuntarily and the muscles spasm every few minutes. It isn't exactly painfull but it drives me mad. It can go on for days, as now, and I can't sleep because of it. I went to the hospital about it years ago but got no help whatsoever but perhaps you have some ideas?? please!!!!
Dear customer,
Welcome to Just Answer.It appears that you are having some type of peripheral neuropathy or a metabolic or neurological disease.This could be secondary to diabetes or thyroid underactivity,Parkinsons Disease,Multiple Sclerosis,could be due to Vitamin B12 deficiency,Alcoholism,autoimmune diseases like SLE,stroke and Cerebral infarction and heavy metal toxicity like lead are other possibilities.You need to see your doctor/Neurologist who will give you a detailed physical and neurological examination.Further investigations will include EMG and nerve Conduction tests,also blood testing to rule out Diabetes,Thyroid disease,Vitamin B12 deficiency and other tests as indicated by the findings .A CT Scan of the brain may help.
Your doctor can guide you further.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you Doctor, could inflammatory rhuenmatism be effecting this?
Rheumatoid Arthritis ,Lupus and other autoimmune diseases may cause a similar problem.