A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I have always had cold hands and feet. Lately my circulation

I have always had cold hands and feet. Lately my circulation seems worse and worse. Twice recently, my middle right finger has turned literally white and gone numb, and has taken 15 minutes or more to regain complete blood flow. In both cases, I had been out in the cold and had a plastic grocery sack or dog leash impeding the blood flow to my fingers somewhat, but NOT excessively. I am 46, female 5'3", 115lbs, don't smoke or drink, and eat right. Why is my circulation getting worse, is this middle finger thing a sign of something, and what can I do to improve my circulation? I noticed it got somewhat better when I was doing some long distance walking/running with a marathon training group....should I start back with that?
(p.s. this is really scaring me and I am really eager to do whatever I can to improve my circulation. I have tried some handwarming via biofeedback but haven't had much success)

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. You will need to see your medical provider for a diagnosis. While this may be a circulation problem, it may also be Raynaud's phenomenon, which is a spasm of the blood vessels that traps the blood in an area. Feeling cold is the typical symptom. You can read more about it below.