Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

i have a dull pain around my left pectoral muscle. it is mostly

i have a dull pain around my left pectoral muscle. it is mostly in the uppper outside corner near my shoulder. occcassionally there is discomfort just under the middle of the pectoral muscle. I used to work out and lift weights regularly, but have not lifted in over a year.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
How old are you?

Do you have neck pain as well?

Does this pain ever radiate into the forearm, or the thumb and index finger?

Do you have the pain when you are using the muscle, say lifting something with your arm?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
42. no other pain. i occassionally feel a little tingle in the elbow joint or a slight numbness in my pinky
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Does it hurt more when you are using the muscle?
Or pressing right into the area around your shoulder?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no. it is not constant. it comes and goes.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

Well, this is a bit strange.

If it were a muscle strain, or issue with the shoulder -- the pain probably would be more apparent with activity that involves that arm, and be reproducible with movement, or by pressing in that area.

The fact that it comes and goes, seemingly randomly, makes me think that this could be more related to an irritated nerve causing the pain. This pain could originate from the neck, where a "pinched" nerve can appear to be an issue down the arm, or in the shoulder, or upper chest, depending on the nerve. The elbow and pinky numbness could also be another sign of an irritated nerve in the neck.

Regardless -- if this has been going on for a while, and not improving, it could be helpful to get checked out to determine if this is serious enough to get further evaluated -- which would mean taking a look at the neck or shoulder, depending on your doctor's exam.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i forgot to mention that i am being treated for high blood presssure. I did have an EKG and my doctor said all the results looked normal.

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

Chest pains, especially on the left side, would always warrant a heart check, since a heart attack could show up as left chest pain.

But the way you describe it doesn't seem like heart related pains, and your EKG looks normal, which is good.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i am worried about a blot clot or something else, could these be signs of a clot?

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Not really.

The blood clots you hear about could be in the legs, which cause pain and swelling in the legs.

If they travel to the lungs -- called a pulmonary embolism -- it can cause issues with trouble breathing, chest pains, pains with breathing -- and while it could be a possibility, again, it probably wouldn't come and go. It would hit you and be pretty constant.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the pain is more of a dull ache, it feels like i got poked and is sore.

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

This could be nerve pain, it could be muscle strains, it could be heart related, it could be lung related...but many of these have been ruled out already.

Certainly further testing can help to determine if it is nerve related.