Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  1 yr experience family medicine (adult and children), emergency medicine for five years

Last night, out of the blue I started experiencing colon cramping...I

Last night, out of the blue I started experiencing colon cramping...I had no symptoms of feeling bad. As the evening progressed I felt even more cramping to the point of being uncomfrtable. I felt the need to "go" but all I seemed to pass was gas. Later in the evening I had 2 bowel movement...normal I would say. I had a good nights sleep and it started again this morning but with more frequency. Bowel movement were now loose and I experienced about 4 of them before noon. (not normal for me) I felt like there was nothing left in me. I had a light breakfast and immediately upon eating lunch the cramping increased and I had to literally run to the restroom. Now I feel slight cramping, but no need to use the restroom. I am drinking more water but wonder what the heck is going on. This is not normal for me.

Hello, this is Dr. E. Greetings from New York! I'm so glad you posted your question for me to answer, and I aim to provide you with accurate info.

It sounds like you may be experiencing some colitis. The most common cause of this is a stomach virus which passes on its own within 48-72 hours, the main concern being keeping electrolytes and fluids up. Inflammatory conditions like Crohn's disease can also cause colitis, as can ulcerative colitis, but these would be conditions only to consider if you had had longer term symptoms.

There is also a possibility you're having some gallbladder issues which is making your stools loose, although I would expect you would have some pain with this.

Another likely possibility is dietary - changes in dairy or grease intake can really change the bowel behaviors.

Dr. E

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your are you saying this could be a virus of sorts? I am a healthy thin woman with a prior history in the past of a little IBS from time to time...I have not seen symptoms of that in years I am only experiencing cramping in the center of my low tummy...

Yes that is the most likely cause. If it doesn't clear up in the next 24-48 hours I want you to see your doctor. Cut down on the fats and dairy for the time being as well as gas producing foods like peppers and onions.

Dr. E