A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I just returned from seeing my doctor and was diagnosed with

Customer Question

I just returned from seeing my doctor and was diagnosed with bursitis of the right hip. Hr put me on a 2 week course of prednisone and gave me ultram for the pain. Because of bariatric surgery 8 years ago I can not take ibprofen or aleeve. I was just wondering if there is anything else you can recommend to help with the pain, ie, hot baths, heating pads, ice, ben gay??? He also said to rest my leg somewhat but that is difficult because I am a homemaker. Are there things I can do to help me still do the things I need to without irritating myself more?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Ultram is neither ibuprofen or Aleve. Ice may help for the first 24 hours, then heat usually makes it feel better. It is important to rest your leg and hip as much as possible. I know it's difficult for a homemaker to hear, but the dust will still be there when you are feeling better, and it won't hurt the family to eat peanut butter and frozen dinners for a little while so you can get some rest. The better you take care of yourself, the sooner you will be back to taking care of them.