A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

how can you tell the difference between an elbow sprain and

how can you tell the difference between an elbow sprain and an elbow fracture
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. You really can't tell without an xray. Both are painful and both can cause limited range of motion due to the pain. If it is a fracture, it needs to be immobilized though, so you need to see your doctor or a clinic.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Please provide me with the information

I don't understand your question.

The information is that you can't tell without an xray which it sounds like you have not had. A fracture is apparent in the xray. You cannot tell from symptoms since they are very similar.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it hasnt been x rayed yet but have an appointment with my ortho on Monday x rays dont always show initially had ankle fracture three times and none showed up until two weeks after the initial x ray none taken yet on the elbow

What you are saying is sometimes true. Other times you can see the fracture immediately. In any event, you can't see a simple fracture without an xray. You should keep the arm as comfortable as possible until you see the orthopedist and try not to use it, since it is painful and has limited range of motion.