A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Hello, I have a medical question. I have a Bartholin cyst which

Hello, I have a medical question. I have a Bartholin cyst which the doctor found during an exam a couple weeks ago. I'm due to see a gynacologist next week, but since the exam the lump has gotten a little bigger. It doesn't hurt and isn't infected. My question is, can I have sex in the intervening time without making the cyst worse/bigger? And is there anything I can do to reduce it? I just bought a sitz bath online.

I'd really appreciate a speedy response on this! Thanks so much!
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. If your partner is gentle and you use a lot of lubrication, there is likely no problem with having intercourse once before you see the gynecologist. Friction will irritate it further so it isn't something you want to do frequently. You might also consider oral sex until you see the physician.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the quick response. Do you really mean only once? And what is the fluid in the cyst? If the gland is blocked, does that mean that the fluid is all lubrication that can't come out, ie every time I get wet, it will fill up more?

Yes, I really meant only once. The more you have sex, the more the cyst is irritated and the larger it becomes. If the bartholin's duct is completely blocked then the cyst will fill still more each time you get aroused. That is the reason for the limit on sex. The "filler" can be lubricating fluid, or it can become infected. In that case it is called an abscess and it is quite painful. That would require medical intervention right away since even walking might be a problem.