A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I cut the tendon in my middle finger just behind the fingernail.

Customer Question

I cut the tendon in my middle finger just behind the fingernail. The er dr sent me to a ortho hand spicalest to get it reattached. the surgeon just looked at it and said it would reattach itself . Is that so or do i need surgury ?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Only the surgeon who looked at it can say whether you will require surgery or not. There is no way for someone who has not seen you and the scans that were done to make a judgment.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there were no scans. so , do severed tendons ever reattach themself or not ? is it a wate and see or it will never happen ?

Some tendons do reattach and some don't. Without seeing it there is no way to tell what the chances are that yours will reattach without surgery. You may want to consider a second opinion from another surgeon who can actually look at your hand.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so basicaly this was a complet wast of my time ?

And mine, if you had the unreasonable expectation of being told yes or no without an examination. There is no way anyone can tell you if it needs surgery without seeing it. That is just the most basic of medicine.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well I am sure sorry I wasted a few seconds of your time