A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I am a 68 year old woman who is 50 pounds overweight. I also

I am a 68 year old woman who is 50 pounds overweight. I also have high blood pressure that is controlled with medication. I have not been able to exercise lately due to arthroscopic surgery on my knee and a hammer toe I developed while my gait was different waiting to have the surgery. I am having a hard time losing weight. My question is, is there a safe diet pill that is effective and safe for someone who has blood pressure issues?
I hope to be able to diet and exercise as well now that my knee is better.

I see on the internet that Phentramin-D is being advertised as an alternate to Phentermine.
Would it be safe to take either one o these with high blood pressure, or is there is something you could recommend?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. None of the stimulant medications like Phentramin or phentermine is safe to take if someone has blood pressure issues. The only safe drug to take is prescription orlistat or its sister lower-dose over-the-counter version sold as Alli. It eliminates a portion of the fats that are eaten. The trick is that you have to eat a low-fat diet. If you don't, it will cause oily flatulence and perhaps fecal incontinence.

Weight loss is accomplished by taking in fewer calories than one uses in exercise and metabolism. Meanwhile, below are links to some typical lower calorie diets that can help. It is important to weigh and measure foods for a while to make sure the portions are the same ones called for in the diets. Choosing high fiber foods will keep you from being hungry between meals.