Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

My left foot gets swollen for no reason, I can barely walk.

My left foot gets swollen for no reason, I can barely walk. I went to the hospital last time it happened and they gave me antibiotics and it went away but it just happened again. what should i do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

Is your foot red?
Warm?
Is it the entire foot?
Do you have any chronic health problems?

Dr abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is not red yet but last time it turned red and it was warm. I think it will happen again. I have no other health problems.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Was it the entire foot?
Or did it start in the first toe..or arch, sole, etc?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It started on the small toes and now the pain is coming from the side of my foot as well.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for clarifying,

Is your foot swollen now?
Are you having any calf pain?
Any recent surgery?
Long car rides or plane ride?
Family history of blood clot?
Do you smoke?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's not swollen or red right now but the last time this happened it was and i expect it to happen again by tomorrow. My calf does not hurt at all the pain is mainly on the top side of my foot and toes. I have not had surgery, long car or plane rides recently. No blood clot history in my family and i quit smoking 18 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Thank you...

It is an odd thing that happened to you because you have no risk factors for developing an infection on your foot, let alone a recurrence (unless you have athlete's foot in between your toes, which would be an access point for bacteria to enter into the skin).

What I would recommend is to keep your foot elevated as much as possible today, take an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen and, if there are any breaks in the skin, apply an antibiotic ointment. That is all you can do, really.
If you have athlete's foot, use tinactin or another cream to treat it.

If you do develop an infection again, it is going to require antibiotics. I also recommend further evaluation as to why this is recurring (check for diabetes, for example).

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay thanks, XXXXX XXXXX't have athletes foot but i will get checked for diabetes.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I would consider it.
It is unusual to have repeated skin infections on the foot for no reason.

Dr Abby

Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States