Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management

For about five weeks I have had a white-colored sore on the

For about five weeks I have had a white-colored sore on the bottom of my tongue. It started having pain when I chewed, and then increased to constant pain. I scheduled to see my PCP, who sent me to an oral surgeon I saw yesterday. He though it was "an ulceration" andscheduyle me to have it surgically removed two weeks from now (December 15).

But the pain subsided about two weeks ago, when I gargled with Listerine several times a day.

Could you suggest an procedure other than surgery or frequent gargles that might help?

Seeing the surgeon called it an "ulceration" I was toying with the idea of gargling with Malox, or saturating a small roll of cotton gause in Malox and placing it under my tongue.
In short treating it somewhat like if it were a stomach ulcer.

God's guidance,

Tom Herzog
Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 5 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

Ulcers such that you are describing can sometimes be caused by oral cancer, this is why your oral surgeon wants to remove it.

The most common type of mouth ulcer that is white (surrounded by red inflammation) and painful is called an "aphthous ulcer", also known as a canker sore. These can appear under or on the side of your tongue, inside the cheek or lips, almost anywhere inside the mouth. The exact cause is not known, but apparently they can arise from bacterial or viral infections, some irritation to the area, a weakened immune system, allergies, and a few other things including stress.

An aphthous ulcer will heal within a few weeks without treatment. The treatment for an aphthous ulcer is to keep your mouth clean, try not to further irritate the area so it can heal, and sometimes an ointment with a corticosteroid is prescribed. If you use Listerine to clean your mouth, be sure to rinse your mouth with regular water when you are done. The Listerine is irritating to mucous membranes in your mouth, and may further aggravate the ulcer is left on too long.

If your ulcer is no longer painful, most likely it is healing. It may be completely healed by the time of your surgery date. If it is (or will) heal, it is most likely not cancerous. However, it would be wise to follow up with your oral surgeon, whether it heals itself or not.