Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

i am scheduled to have a barium swallow today and im very nervous...i

i am scheduled to have a barium swallow today and im very nervous...i have a hard time swallowing and i feel like i cannot breath very good. Im concerned that i am going to get some barium in my lungs, aspiration. Could this hurt me? what can i do to prevent this? They are doing test becuase of a clicking in my throat when i swallow and the constant heartburn
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.

Why are you getting barium swallow? Did you have endoscopy?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no endoscopy. I have had problems swallowing and breathing. My heart and lungs have been checked, so the ENT doc said this is next to see what is going on. I have severe anxety which makes me nervuos as well
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

Aspiration occur in a very small percent of cases. You should follow the instruction of radiologist carefully. This will reduce the chance. In case of aspiration there will be coughing & the doctors can take care of it.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if it does happen, can it be lethal? I dont know why but im very nervous about this test. Also, I have constipation issues normally, will this make it worse? Sorry and thanks
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.
Barium passes out with stool & usually does not cause any problem with constipation. Dont get nervous. Try to follow as the doctors instruct & aspiration is not common at your age.