Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

just over a week ago I was diagnosed with bronchitis because

Customer Question

just over a week ago I was diagnosed with bronchitis because of a sore throat and congestion, I was given the antibiotic ciprofloxacin hcl. I was better until yesterday, now my throat hurts even more and I can barely talk without pain but my congestion is gone...any ideas?
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer Health.

Your throat is likely sore due to sinus drainage, or due to breathing with your mouth open if your sinuses are inflammed. Especially if you woke up with this, as it would be typical to be worse in the morning. Something that can help is to sleep with a humidifier on. A humidifier during the day too would be helpful if possible. Increasing your fluid intake will often help as well.

So, start drinking fluids - such as dilute juice or electrolyte solutions.

Warm salt water gargles will help remove any dried secretions in your throat (use about one teaspoon of salt to a large glass of warm water)

Taking a decongestant or antihistamine may make your symptoms worse if this is due to dryness so is not recommended at this time.