Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

yeast infection..seen a Dr who gave me some oral medication..itching

I have a yeast infection that has been going on for over a week, I have seen a Dr who gave me some oral medication and advised to put crisco on the infected area to allieveiate the burning and itching. I am trying both but the itching is so severe I am having problems concentrating, and yes, sleeping. Do I need to go the hospital for medication or sedation of the area?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.

When did you take the oral treatment?
How many doses?
Are you having any redness or swelling of the vaginal area?
Lastly, what is nicirin?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I took the oral treatment yesterday and although I was supposed to wait two days before taking the next pill, I called the nurse to see if I could take another oral pill today then a third two days from then which they said would be fine. There is most definitly redness and swelling of the area and an open sore from dryness. It was nystatin that I tried.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for clarifying,

As you probably know, it can take about 48 hours for the oral pill to take effect.
In the meantime, what I often recommend for severe yeast vaginal infections is to add an over the counter cortisone cream. This should help you.
One product that contains this is Vagisil Satin.

The emergency room will not be able to do much for you other than prescribe a cortisone cream as well.
You can try applying ice packs to the area, which also often helps to calm down the itching.

At night, try taking benadryl. It may help you sleep as well as relieve itching a bit.

You should feel much better tomorrow.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!

Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States