Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

Every so often(3 or 4 weeks interval) I have severe dizziness.

Every so often(3 or 4 weeks interval) I have severe dizziness. Sometimes, it is so severe that I have to get on the floor and crawl. Usually, this dizziness is preseded by a headache and it leaves me a little nauseated. I have been checked for Meniere disease and acoustic neuroma. The primary care physician has ruled out the carotid artery as being the culprit. The ear, nose, and throat doctor seems to think that it may be a sunus problem. What are your thoughts on this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 5 years ago.

I would have suggested Meniere's disease as well however, if you have had this checked out and found to be negative, then we can move forward to other possible causes. You mentioned the headache, certain types of headaches (migraines) can cause dizziness. Also, electrolyte imbalances can cause dizziness. Sinus issues can also cause dizziness as you mentioned. For the sinus issues, a CT of the sinus might be helpful. The ENT Dr can order the scan and tell you if you have issues. If so, they can treat you accordingly.