Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I recently had a violent vomiting episode ( not alcohol or

I recently had a violent vomiting episode ( not alcohol or drug related ) I was not running
a temp. or feeling ill in any way. It happened in the middle of the night --I was sleeping
when I suddenly awoke and felt a strong desire to vomit . when I was done I noticed that
the skin on my cheeks and forehead were bright red , the problem is the skin color has not gone back to normal. I look bruised around my cheek bones now. Will this color issue go away (its been 5 days now) is this something I need to worry about ? I am a 52 yo male
in otherwise good health.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 years ago.

A violent vomiting episode can cause significant strain on face muscles and subcutaneous tissue (tissue underneath). This can rupture the capillaries (tiny blood vessels) and cause bruising. This can take 1-2 weeks to disappear. If you are on medicine like aspirin, this may take further duration. Meanwhile you can take Vitamin C which is available without prescription.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun