Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice

do....last night my dog bit my hand...(not worried about my dog

hi i don't know what to do....last night my dog bit my hand...(not worried about my dog...he is very passive and would never bite someone ...he was chasing his tail...and i tried to pull his leash...long story...bad move...)...i know i needed stitches last night. I washed it, put neosporin, then used a butterfly stitch....this morning i took off the butterfly stitch and it was bleeding pretty bad...again ...washed put neosporin and re-did the butterfly hand is swollen but not as much as last night....of course it hurts pretty the big question is it necessary to go to ER? Or not? I just read something online that says you should leave the butterfly stitch on for 24 to 48! so undecided...really don't want to go to ER...dread real happended at 10 pm last night....its now 9:03pm NY time..approximately 23 hours after...
Dear customer,
Welcome to just answer.Animal bites have the potential to be very badly infected.Further,if there is persistent bleeding,the bleeding needs to be looked into.If a vessel has been damaged,it may need to be ligated .It would be proper to have a Doctor to attend to the injury.You also need a Tetanus booster shot ,antibiotics and analgesics may also be needed.You need to go to the ER and get the matter attended to,matters may worsen if you delay.