Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I took a urinalysis test and it was neg

I took a urinalysis test and it was neg. for hydrocodine. I took a 5mg tablet sometime yesterday, so it should have shown up. Because it didn't, they won't refill my prescription. I fell on my jaw this summer and with physical therapy and everything else I do do help it the meds really help. I don't take that many. but I can't figure out why they won't re-fill them. Do they think I would be dumb enough to give them away? I can barely afford to take them.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 4 years ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

I can at least explain the reasoning behind the refusal to give you a refill on the pain medication. The problem is that there are many people who get pain pills prescribed to them and then turn around and sell them. The theory is that patients that test negative for a controlled substance may be selling them instead of needing to use them. This leaves people whom use them sparingly as needed out in the cold. That is what is going on though...

Customer :

But why wouldn't it show up? I had a lortab sometime yesterday, probably about noon and nothing today ,took the test about4pm.

Anthony Bray MD :

I would have thought that it would have shown up even with a single dose.

Anthony Bray MD :

Was the test run in the doctor's office?

Customer :

yes

Anthony Bray MD :

Some of the quick tests like this are not as sensitive. That is what is probably going on. If you took a Lortab yesterday and they drew blood the hydrocodone in it will probably show on the blood test.

Customer :

I surely hope so for my sake.They did a quick blood test that will have results tomorrow. This is the first day I have gone without having any lortab. I just hope I can function and sleep. The pain sometimes wakes me up and cold is not a good thing( we are below freezing now) and I have animals outside I need to tend to. I just hope you are right. Thank you for your time.

Anthony Bray MD :

You are welcome. Take Care!

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

If you have further questions , let me know and I will be happy to get back with you.

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD