Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice
1725470

All day today my tongue has felt numb. It feels like there

All day today my tongue has felt numb. It feels like there is a coating on the roof of my mouth, and my lips are swollen. It began last night, and has gotten worse through out the day. Eating irritates my tongue. Drinking a Dr. pepper made it burn. Decreased sense of taste.
I did not change or add any medications. Didn't eat anything new, or that I don't eat on a regular basis.
What can I do to get rid of these symptoms?

**Was just looking at my tongue - it looks like each individual taste bud is swollen. THe whole tongue, but more so on the tip and sides.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 6 years ago.

It seems possible that you have developed an inflammation of the tongue - the condition is called glossitis. Glossitis may be due to viral or bacterial infection. If there is superimposed fungal infection, it can feel like there is a coating on the tongue.

Please consult a doctor - if the inflammation is severe you may need an antibiotic. You will also need blood tests to check for anemia or vit B deficiency.

Meanwhile, please rinse your mouth with a chlorhexidene mouth wash available without prescription at any pharmacy. Also take Ibuprofen, 200mg thrice daily for 3 days. Continue to drink plenty or water to flush out your mouth.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.