Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

Coincidently, a hear and half ago I moved from Salt Lake City Utah

During the past year and a half, I have suffered with poor concentraion and short term memory loss. I never had this before. Coincidently, a hear and half ago I moved from Salt Lake City Utah to Santiago Chile. I have heard that the soil here is very low on iodine. Do you think I need to take iodine pills?

Dr. Shah :

Hello, Welcome to Just answer! I would like to get more information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

JACUSTOMER-4e13nwk0- :

okay, ask me whqt you want

Dr. Shah :

How is you wt. and appetite?

Dr. Shah :

Do you have dry skin and constipation?

JACUSTOMER-4e13nwk0- :

Weight I think is okay. I weigh 210 lbs, 6' 3" height, 71 years old but most think I am in my early 60's

JACUSTOMER-4e13nwk0- :

I am in pretty good shape physically. Walk at least 2 miles a day. But concentration problems are serious and something I never had before coming to CHile

Dr. Shah :

Do you have mood changes and thinning hair?

Dr. Shah :

JACUSTOMER-4e13nwk0- :

A little constipation has been chronic for several years but not since I moved here 18 months ago. My hair is thinning but not sevier.

Dr. Shah :

When was your last evaluation by your doctor?

JACUSTOMER-4e13nwk0- :

I do believe that sleep apnea could have caused brain damage.

JACUSTOMER-4e13nwk0- :

But I hope not! I prefer to hope that my condition is treatable

JACUSTOMER-4e13nwk0- :

Well, I have seen a doctor about every 6 months until July of 2010 when accepting a charity assignment here.

JACUSTOMER-4e13nwk0- :

The most attention of the Docs as been for high colesterol

JACUSTOMER-4e13nwk0- :

I do not know what SMS is!

JACUSTOMER-4e13nwk0- :

I would appreciate an answer via email, with some subbestions re I could do to differntiate between possible causes

Dr. Shah :

Thank you for the information, you are showing symptoms of hypothyroidism which is quite common at older age. I think you need to have blood test for thyroid function and act accordingly. In the mean time there is no harm in taking iodine, iodized salt is one of the most convenient way.

JACUSTOMER-4e13nwk0- :

Perdon the type. Subbgestions should be suggestions

JACUSTOMER-4e13nwk0- :

Pardon the typos!

Dr. Shah :

There are many good food which has high iodine such as egg, meat, fish

JACUSTOMER-4e13nwk0- :

I would like to know if thyroid problems are a common cause of concentration problems

Dr. Shah :

If you want to read more about Hypothyroidism you can visit this link.

JACUSTOMER-4e13nwk0- :

Another possibility is a complication from prostate surgery I had last February.

Dr. Shah :

yes, they can cause concentration and memory issues

Dr. Shah :

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hypothyroidism/DS00353/DSECTION=symptoms

JACUSTOMER-4e13nwk0- :

Visit what link?

JACUSTOMER-4e13nwk0- :

Can you think of some things to do to confirm or eliminate the thyroid as a cause in this case?

Dr. Shah :

I think we are loosing connection....

JACUSTOMER-4e13nwk0- :

Well, I don't think you should charge my credit card. You have not given my anything in the way of sold suggestions. P.S. I think you should know that I 12 years of medical research in my history. My name is XXXXX XXXXX least a dozen published papers re pioneer work in the application of computers for patient monitoring, effect of smoking on pulmonary function, diagnosis of some types of diseases.

JACUSTOMER-4e13nwk0- :

This typewriter is dropping letters sometimes. I hope you can understand the sentences

I think there is technical problem and that is the reason for our miscommunication. I have switched to Q/A format, just use reply button for communication.
We have not finished our communication.
I think you did not received all the information that I sent you due to technical problem.
Based on your description, you are showing symptoms of hypothyroidism which is quite common at older age. Although causes for hypothyroidism could be different, but clinically they produce similar symptoms.
We always correlate clinical symptoms with thyroid function test to make final diagnosis. I think you need to have blood test for thyroid function which will confirm the diagnosis. You can read more about this problem from his link. Click on different icons to view details.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hypothyroidism/DS00353/DSECTION=causes

Let me know your concern so that I can assist you.

Edited by Dr. Shah on 12/1/2010 at 1:26 AM EST
We have not finished our communication.

It is not possible to pin point the cause on the basis of symptoms. Only blood test can differentiate or pin point a specific cause of hypothyroidism.

Please use reply option if you have any concern. I will be happy to assist you. If this is not what you were looking for, then let me know I will request for refund.

Edited by Dr. Shah on 12/1/2010 at 1:52 AM EST