Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I am doing rehab now. It has been there almost a month. However,

Customer Question

I am doing rehab now. It has been there almost a month. However, I am still anxious, and find Xanax relaxes me.
I discussed my results of the holter monitor with my doctor and she found nothing really abnormal. The blockage was in a off branch of a smaller artery. I should feel ok, but I feel kind of crappy.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 years ago.

Greetings.

For what reason are you in rehab; cardiac rehabilitation?

What are your present symptoms?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
A mild heart attack on 10/19. Once I take Xanax I feel a lot better and my Blood Pressure goes down as well. The doctor says my heart look healthy overall. The blockage is tiny and is not even on a major branch.

Have you considered any specialist regarding anxiety?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I guess I am nervous about having another heart attack.

I can understand your anxiety. This is natural and most of the people will feel that way. Doctors are very cautious about the heart ailments and would not take slightest of the chance, so get thorough investigations for the heart issues. Since your coronary artery angiography is almost near normal, not involving any major branch; you should not be worried. If there was slightest of the doubt, doctors would have asked further work up and advised you the caution. Resolution of the symptoms due to Xanax point that they are not due to organic cause. You may consider cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and relaxation exercises.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been reading about broken heart symdrome and remember my cardiologist mentioning it to me. Could I have suffered from this? Apparently, this conditions creates the same chemicals in the blood that a real heart attack starts.

The article below states.

"There are nonspecific changes in the electrocardiogram and some elevation of cardiac enzymes (Troponin and Creatine kinaso) in blood."

http://www.hindu.com/mag/2010/04/11/stories/2010041150290600.htm

So maybe my heart problem was created stress. Why did my cardiologist recommend seeing a therapist if it was not something to do with an emotional heart attack. I did mention I suffered from severe depression.

I agree that your doctor should consider this which can be correlated by EKG changes and confirmed by an MRI and ventriculography. An acute cardiomyopathy can be provoked by a stressful or emotional situation. This cardiomyopathy is most common among middle-aged women, appears to be related to catecholamine release, and in most cases is fully reversible with supportive care. Electrocardiogram (EKG) findings of myocardial infarction in the presence of left ventricular dysfunction and absence of coronary artery blockage should prompt the diagnosis. But relaxation therapy is part of the treatment and should help you in the long term and prevent further attack.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun