Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.

vaginal area..15 to 20 years since I last was sexually active

Can you possibly tell me why I should get very painful cramp feelings in what I assume is the vaginal area, when lovemaking reaches its climax? There has been about 15 to 20 years since I last was sexually active. What can I do to prevent this happening and spoiling what should be a wonderfully intimate time?
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I am happy to help you today! Use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

SOmetimes intercourse and climax can be painful for women after menopause due to decreased estrogen in the tissues. Especially if you have gone a long time without being sexually active. Many women see improvement after using a vaginal estrogen. So talk to your provider to see if this is something that would be beneficial for you.