Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Ive been getting sudden dizzy spells off and on all day.Ive

I've been getting sudden dizzy spells off and on all day.I've been feeling worse tonight after eating a ham sandwich,not that it has anything to do with it.I've also been feeling warm in the face. What do you think it is? I'm starting to get a bit worried

Greetings.

Do you have any vision or hearing problem, imbalance, problem in walking?

Are you on any medications?

Are the dizzy spells on changing posture?

Any significant past medical illness or surgery?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't have any hearing problems, no imbalance,and I walk all the time. I'm not on any medication. They do happen when I change posture or move quickly. No past illness or surgery
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
are you still there?

Yes, I am online. Please give me few minutes. I am typing the answer.

Thanks for your patience.

Dr. Arun

The causes of dizziness according to the decreasing incidence are;

1) Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) 20%
2) Vestibular 15%
3) Migraine and motion sensitivity 15%
4) Anxiety and depression 10%
5) Meniere's disease 7%
6) Cerebellar disease 6%
7) Transient ischemic attacks 5%
8) Orthostatic hypotension 4%
9) Other

Internal ear disease vertigo is termed true vertigo in which one feels rotational movement of self or the surroundings. The false vertigo or nonvertigo has feeling of light-headedness, unsteadiness, motion intolerance, imbalance, etc. You need to consult first an ENT specialist to exclude the diseases of internal ear. They will perform some clinical tests (vestibular diagnostic tests) to establish the cause. Often, dizziness can be a multisensory disorder due to any combination of peripheral neuropathy, visual impairment, and musculoskeletal disease. Many patients who have thyroid dysfunction can present with dizziness as an initial complaint. In individuals who have migraine, dizziness and vertigo can occur as part of the aura or separately. Spells usually last approximately an hour but can last several hours or days in patients who have severe symptoms. So that too should be assessed as a cause if you have a history of migraine.

Your primary care physician should refer your to a neurologist, cardiologist if ENT specialist examination is normal. The causes of dizziness can be divided on the system, which is involved;

1) Inner ear or internal ear disease
2) Central nervous system
3) Cardiovascular, or
4) Systemic diseases

That should be able to conclude for the diagnosis.

Benign Positional Vertigo is one of the common reasons for the vertigo and it is treated by various exercises like Epley maneuver, Brandt-Daroff exercises, Semont maneuver etc. There are online videos, on which you can learn these exercises and try meanwhile, you are investigated;

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/brandt-daroff-exercise-for-vertigo/2164118862

http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/full/63/1/150/DC1

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Edited by Dr. Arun Phophalia on 11/28/2010 at 2:46 AM EST

I added following on the above answer, later;

Thank you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is this something I need to race to the hospital or will these exercises help

Usually dizziness is not an emergency if it is not severe or persistent (danger of falling) or is accompanied by loss of balance, vision disturbances, severe, headache, nausea and vomiting and if your pulse and blood pressure are normal. So you may consult your primary care physician during routine hours. Exercises would help, if it is due to benign paroxysmal positional vertigo.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you sir.I just took my blood pressure and it was 120 over 91 with a pulse of 78. I think thats about right for me. I do appreciate your time

You are welcome.

Yes. This blood pressure is normal. Your dizziness is likely not due to any serious cause, but you need to get it evaluated in routine appointment.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun